I had seen a recipe on Pinterest a while ago for Jack Daniels dark chocolate cupcakes that looked super yummy. I decided to make a few adjustment and used Bailey’s instead of JD and also used more semisweet and bittersweet chocolate (mostly because I would have had to try a lot harder to get the dark chocolate, and have you ever tried 80% cacao chocolate? It’s not good).
This is the recipe that I adapted for the cupcakes, ganache, and frosting
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 1/2 cup Bailey’s
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate, small bowl combine the eggs, coffee, Bailey’s, buttermilk, and oil. Combine both mixtures and mix until smooth (I use an electric, stand mixer, makes it so much easier). Pour into cupcake cups (about 1/2-3/4 full) and bake for about 20 minutes.
- 16 ounces dark chocolate chips (I used bittersweet chips, 60% cacao)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Bailey’s
Put the chocolate chips in a small, heat safe bowl. Heat the cream in a small pan until just boiling. Pour over the chocolate and set aside for a couple minutes to melt. Then whisk till smooth and add the butter and Bailey’s and stir to combine.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (I changed this a little bit from the original cause I didn’t want to use pudding mix)
- 2 sticks (1/2 lb) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups Dark Chocolate Whiskey ganache
- 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- slightly less than 2 lbs powdered sugar (very inexact, I just add it till it’s the consistency I want, you’ll have extra if you add this much, frosting should be thick but fluffy. If it gets too thick just add a tiny bit of milk)
- more Bailey’s to taste
After you’ve got everything made I just got the ganache in a Ziploc bag and cut off a corner to fill the cupcakes with ganache. Same thing to frost so it’s pretty fast and easy. These cupcakes are yummy and this is some of my favorite frosting because it’s super smooth and creamy.